Cheddar and Salami Lasagna Pockets
Filled with smoked Cheddar, salami, roasted red peppers and fresh basil, these tasty pockets will win rave reviews from the whole family.
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) tomato sauce (approx.), divided
- 8 sheets lasagna
- Olive oil
- 12 leaves basil, divided
- 12 Cracker Barrel Smoked Cheddar Slices, divided
- 8 thin slices salami
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced roasted red peppers
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato sauce on bottom of baking dish.
- Par-cook lasagna sheets according to package directions. Drain and transfer lasagna to baking sheet; lightly brush with olive oil
- to prevent pasta from drying out.
- Arrange 1 lasagna sheet on cutting board. Spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato sauce over pasta. Arrange another lasagna sheet on top, forming a cross. Spread with 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato sauce.
- Arrange 2 basil leaves, 2 Cheddar slices, 2 slices salami and 1/4 cup (60 mL) roasted red pepper over center of lasagna stack, where the sheets cross. Top with 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato sauce. Fold the lasagna sheets over the filling, to form a pocket, securing the edges with each other. Top with heaping 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato sauce and Cheddar slice. Repeat with remaining lasagna sheets, remaining tomato sauce, remaining basil, remaining Cheddar, remaining salami and remaining roasted red pepper to make 4 pockets in total. Transfer pockets to baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Garnish with remaining basil leaves.
For variation, fill lasagna pockets instead with leftover shredded chicken, spicy salami, roasted vegetables or sautéed greens.