- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground chicken
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped canned green chiles, divided
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 4 tsp (20 mL) canola oil
- 4 Cracker Barrel Smoked Cheddar Slices
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mayonnaise
- 4 tsp (20 mL) butter, softened
- 4 burger buns, split and toasted
- 8 leaves lettuce
- 8 rings red onion
- In large bowl, stir together chicken, breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp (30 mL) green chiles, green onions, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt and pepper. Divide chicken mixture into 4 portions and roll into balls.
- Heat griddle or large cast-iron pan over medium heat. Brush hot pan with canola oil. Add burger balls and, using heatproof spatula, smash each into 1/2-inch-thick (1 cm) patty. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until cooked through, no longer pink and instant-read thermometer registers at least 165°F (74°F) when inserted into thickest part of burger.
- Top each with cheese slice and cook for 1 minute or until cheese has started to melt.
- In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and remaining green chiles.
- Spread butter and mayonnaise mixture on both sides of toasted buns. Assemble burgers in buns with lettuce and onion.
Substitute green chiles with pickled jalapeño pepper slices if preferred.