Spicy Habanero Gougères
Filled with spicy Habanero Shredded Cheese, these savoury pastry puffs make an impressive appetizer that will please any crowd.
- 1 cup (250 mL) Cracker Barrel Habanero Shredded Cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C). In saucepan set over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, butter and salt; bring to boil. Remove from heat. Add flour all at once; stir vigorously with wooden spoon until mixture forms ball and comes away from side of pan.
- Return pan to medium-low heat; continue stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes or until thin, dry film forms on bottom of pan. Remove from heat. Transfer to bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating with wooden spoon after each addition until well incorporated and mixture is smooth (or beat with electric mixer). Dough should be smooth, shiny and thickened. Beat in half of the cheese and chives.
- Transfer batter to pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch (1 cm) tip (or transfer to resealable plastic bag; snip corner from bottom of bag); pipe 2 tsp (10 mL) batter into balls, spacing 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C); bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Let cool slightly; serve warm.
Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary to batter if desired.