Cheddar, Apple and Sage Stuffed French Toast
This sweet and savoury French toast is perfect for breakfast, brunch – or even breakfast for dinner.
- 12 Cracker Barrel® Marble Natural Slices
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, divided
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 2% milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) 35% whipping cream
- Pinch each salt and sugar
- 12 slices day-old crusty bread, about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) maple syrup
- Melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in skillet set over medium heat; cook apples, brown sugar, sage and cinnamon for 4 to 5 minutes or until apples are just tender. Let cool completely.
- In shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt and sugar; set aside.
- On each of 6 bread slices, layer 1 slice of cheese, 1/3 cup (75 mL) apple mixture and another cheese slice. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Dip each cheese sandwich in egg mixture. Melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook French toast in batches, for about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides and cheese melts (wipe pan clean with paper towel in between batches and add remaining butter to pan as needed).
- Slice each stuffed French toast in half and drizzle with maple syrup.
Granny Smith, Honeycrisp or Cortland apples all work well in this recipe.
Substitute milk for whipping cream if desired.
Crusty Italian, sourdough or egg bread all work well in this recipe.