Spicy Cheese Bread
This irresistible cheesy habanero bread is baked in a Dutch oven or other heavy bottomed oven-proof pot with a lid for a crispy crust.
- 2 cups (500 mL) Cracker Barrel® Habanero Heat Shredded Cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) warm water, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) rapid-rise yeast
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until foamy.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour and salt; add yeast mixture and remaining warm water, stirring with wooden spoon until dough starts to form. (Alternatively, mix with dough hook in stand mixer). Stir in 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) cheese. Knead on lightly floured surface for a few turns until dough is smooth, adding a bit of extra flour if necessary (dough will be slightly sticky, do not incorporate too much flour.)
- Transfer to 10 to 12 cup (2.5 L to 3 L) greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 1 1/2 hours or until dough is doubled in volume.
- Meanwhile, set oven rack in middle of oven. Cover Dutch oven with lid; set in oven. Preheat oven to 450˚F (230˚C).
- Tip dough onto 15-inch (38 cm) large square of parchment paper, being careful not to deflate it. Score top of bread with an “X”, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) deep. Brush top with oil and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Remove preheated Dutch oven; carefully remove lid. Using parchment paper as handles, lower bread round into Dutch oven. Cover with lid.
- Immediately return to oven; bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid; bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- Carefully slide bread out of Dutch oven onto rack. Let cool for 1 hour before slicing.
Serve sliced bread with butter or use as sandwich bread. The bread round can also be hollowed out and served as a bread bowl for dip.