Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Take your baked brussel sprouts to new heights with pancetta and Cracker Barrel Mozza cheese. It’s a holiday side dish that will be sure to impress.
- 1 lb (500 mL) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced pancetta
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Cracker Barrel Shreds – Mozza, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C). In pot of boiling salted water, cook Brussels sprouts for 6 to 8 minutes or until very tender; drain well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in high-sided large skillet or large saucepan set over medium heat; cook pancetta for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to paper towel–lined tray to drain.
- Melt butter in same pan; cook onion and garlic for about 3 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring often, for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheese until melted. Stir in Brussels sprouts and pancetta.
- Transfer to greased 11- x 7-inch (2 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss together bread crumbs, remaining olive oil and half of the parsley. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand until slightly cooled. Sprinkle with remaining parsley before serving.
Alternately, bake in 9-inch (23 cm) square baking dish.
For a vegetarian version, substitute chopped sun-dried tomatoes or sautéed sliced mushrooms for pancetta.