- 2 cups (500 mL) Cracker Barrel Old White Cheddar Block
- 1 lb (500 g) penne
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 lb (250 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large high-sided skillet set over medium heat. Cook mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in shallots, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until shallots are softened.
- Stir in cream; bring to boil. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until cream thickens slightly.
- Add pasta, reserved cooking liquid and lemon juice, tossing to coat well. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup (250 mL) cheese until melted.
- Spoon into greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chives before serving.
If desired, halve the recipe to make 2 servings; use a 9-inch (23 cm) square baking dish.