Grilled Chicken and Crispy Cheese Salad
It’s time to retire regular croutons and step up your salad game with these golden, crispy deep-fried pieces of cheese.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 6 oz (175 g) Cracker Barrel Marble Cheddar Block Cheese, cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) panko bread crumbs
- 1 small English cucumber, halved
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 cups (1.5 L) mixed greens
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- TOSS cheese cubes in flour until well coated, then shake off excess. Dip into eggs, then bread crumbs to coat. Repeat once with eggs and bread crumbs. Freeze cheese cubes for 15 minutes.
- GRATE half of the cucumber; transfer to tea towel, squeezing to remove excess moisture. Stir together grated cucumber, yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, vinegar and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt.
- HEAT oil in heavy-bottom saucepan until thermometer reads 350°F (180°C) Working in batches, cook breaded cheese for about 1 minute or until golden brown and crispy. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Sprinkle with remaining salt.
- DIVIDE mixed greens evenly among 4 serving plates. Top with chicken and tomatoes. Thinly slice remaining cucumber; divide evenly among salads. Arrange avocado slices over top.
- DIVIDE cheese cubes among salads; drizzle with dressing.
Breaded, unfried cheese can be made ahead, cooled, covered and frozen for up to 3 months. Perfect for keeping on hand for snacks and salads!