- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 4 Cracker Barrel Natural Slices – Medium Light
- 4 whole wheat buns, split
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijonnaise sauce
- 4 thick slices tomatoes
- 4 thick rounds red onion
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) arugula
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, soy sauce, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; toss with mushrooms. Let stand for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to medium-high; grease grate well. Grill mushrooms for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until grill marked and tender. Top each mushroom with cheese slice; cook for 30 to 60 seconds or until cheese is melted. Meanwhile, grill buns for 30 to 60 seconds or until grill marked and toasted.
- Assemble mushroom burgers in buns with Dijonnaise, tomatoes, onion and arugula.
The dark brown gills of portobello mushrooms are edible but they leach a brown liquid when cooked that can make the bun soggy. To remove gills, gently scrape out with a spoon.
Alternatively, broil mushrooms on a foil-lined baking sheet, watching carefully and turning once, for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly charred and tender.